Small Claims Court Assistance
- Serving Southern California
- Attorney Owned and Supervised
- Free Small Claims Court Consultations
Instructions for Filing Case – Information Form
Comprehensive Fee Schedule
- Prepare and file your claim in the correct court;
- Schedule your court date;
- Determine the correct defendant if a business;
- Serve the claim on the proper defendants;
- Complete and file the proof of service with the court; and
- Provide you with the documents you will need for your day in court.
- Individuals age 18 or over can sue businesses or individuals for up to $10,000 up to twice per calendar year and an unlimited number of times for $2,500 or less.
- Businesses can sue businesses or individuals for up to $5,000 up to twice per calendar year and an unlimited number of times for $2,500 or less.
- You may be entitled by law to be reimbursed for our fee and filing costs as part of your judgment.
- If possible, you must demand payment in writing before your date in small claims court.
- Claims must be filed with the court timely. You have the following time limits to file your claim:
- Breach of written contract 4 years from the breach
- Breach of oral contract 2 years from the breach
- Personal injury 2 years from the injury
- Property damage 3 years from the damage
- Things you will need in court, if applicable:
- Proof of the amount owed
- Contracts, receipts, proposals, estimates
- Check copies
- We use licensed, bonded, and highly experienced process servers. We do not recommend use of the mail because it is usually not as effective.
Frequently Asked Questions
Examples of When Small Claims Court Can Help
Going to Small Claims Court
- Bring three copies of your evidence to court. One for yourself, one for the judge, and one for the defendant. Do not give your evidence to the defendant until asked to exchange evidence. After the defendant has seen your evidence, ask that it be returned immediately.
- Prepare to be asked to have your case mediated by a court appointed mediator. If you believe there is any chance of resolving your dispute, try to resolve it by mediation. The mediator cannot make a decision; he or she can only suggest the terms of a possible resolution.
- Plaintiffs present their case first. The defendant gets to speak after the plaintiff has completed his or her presentation. You must address the judge, not the defendant. When the defendant speaks, do not interrupt him or her. The plaintiff will always be given an opportunity to respond to the defendant’s statements. Be polite even if it’s difficult. Present the court bailiff with any legal brief and/or documents immediately after your presentation.
- Arrive early. If you are late, you will make the judge unhappy and you will be placed at the end of the list of cases.
- Be organized. Be able to find everything you will need for your court presentation.
- Dress professionally. Show respect to the court. While men do not have to wear a tie, a dress shirt is recommended with slacks and conservative shoes. Ladies should also wear conservative clothing. Your clothing and appearance should not be a distraction.
- Address the judge as “your honor”. Address the defendant as Mr. or Ms. Do not use the defendant’s first name.
- Listen carefully to the instructions of the Bailiff and any Mediator.
- Be prepared to have the judge tell you that he or she will consider the evidence and get back to you with a decision within a few days. This is standard operating procedure.
Instructions for Filing Case – Information Form
Comprehensive Fee Schedule
Instructions for Filing Case
Send us the Request our Small Claims Filing Service Form.
Disclaimer – Important
The use of our Small Claims Court Filing Service does not establish an attorney-client relationship notwithstanding the fact that SmallClaimsCourtService.com is a division of the law firm of Michael T. Chulak & Associates. An attorney-client relationship can only be established when both parties sign a written retainer agreement.
Los Angeles County:
Acton, Agoura, Agoura Hills, Agua Dulce, Alhambra, Altadena, Arcadia, Arleta, Artesia, Avalon, Azusa, Baldwin Hills, Baldwin Park, Bassett, Bell, Bell Canyon, Bell Gardens, Bellflower, Beverly Hills, Bouquet Canyon, Box Canyon, Burbank, Calabasas, Calabasas Hills, Canoga Park, Canyon Country, Carson, Castaic, Century City, Cerritos, Chatsworth, Claremont, Commerce, Compton, Covina, Cudahy, Crystalaire, Culver City, Del Sur, Diamond Bar, Downey, Duarte, East Los Angeles, East Rancho Dominguez, El Monte, El Segundo, Encino, Firestone Park, Flintridge, Gardena, Glassell, Glassell Park, Glendale, Glendora, Granada Hills, Hacienda Heights, Hawaiian Gardens, Hansen Dam, Hawthorne, Hermosa Beach, Hidden Hills, Highland Park, Hollywood, Huntington Park, Industry, Inglewood, Irwindale, La Canada Flintridge, La Crescenta- Montrose, La Habra Heights, La Mirada, La Puente, La Verne, La Canada, Lake Hughes, Lake Los Angeles, Lake View Terrace, Lakewood, Lancaster, Lawndale, Leimert Park, Lennox, Leona Valley, Lincoln Heights, Littlerock, Lomita, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Lynwood, Malibu, Manhattan Beach, Marina Del Rey, Maywood, Mission Hills, Monrovia, Monte Nido, Montebello, Monterey Park, Mount Baldy, Mount Wilson, Newhall, North El Monte, North Hills, North Hollywood, Northridge, Norwalk, Pacoima, Palisades, Palmdale, Paramount, Pearblossom, Pico Rivera, Pomona, Quartz Hill, Rancho Dominguez, Rancho Palos Verdes, Rancho Park, Redondo Beach, Reseda, Ritter Ranch, Rolling Hills, Rolling Hills Estates, Rosemead, San Dimas, San Fernando, San Gabriel, San Marino, San Pedro, Santa Clarita, Santa Fe Springs, Santa Monica, Saratoga Hills, Saugus, Sherman Oaks, Sierra Madre, Signal Hill, South El Monte, South Gate, South Pasadena, Stevenson Ranch, Studio City, Sun Valley, Sun Village, Tarzana, Temple City, Toluca Lake, Topanga, Torrance, Tujunga, Universal City, Val Verde, Valencia, Valley Village, Van Nuys, Venice, Vernon, Walnut, Walnut Park, West Covina, West Hills, West Hollywood, West Los Angeles, West Toluca Lake, Westchester, Whittier, Wilmington, Windsor Hills, Winnetka, Woodland Hills.
Camarillo, Channel Islands, Faria Beach, Fillmore, Moorpark, Newbury Park, Oak Park, Oak View, Ojai, Oxnard, Port Hueneme, Santa Paula, Saticoy, Somis, Simi Valley,Thousand Oaks, Ventura (San Buenaventura), Westlake Village.
Aliso Viejo, Anaheim, Balboa Island, Brea, Buena Park, Corona Island, Costa Mesa, Cypress, Dana Point, Foothill Ranch, Fountain Valley, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Irvine, La Habra, La Palma, Ladera Ranch, Laguna Beach, Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Woods, Lake Forrest, Los Alamitos, Mission Viejo, Newport Beach, Newport Coast, Orange, Placentia, Rossmoor, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Santa Ana, Santa Ana Heights, Seal Beach, Stanton, Tustin, Tustin Foothills, Villa Park, Westminster, Yorba Linda.
San Bernardino County:
Adelanto, Apple Valley, Barstow, Big Bear, Big Bear City, Chino, Chino Hills, Colton, Crestline, Fontana, Grand Terrace, Hesperia, Highland, Joshua Tree, Lake Arrowhead, Landers, Loma Linda, Montclair, Morongo Valley, Needles, Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga, Redlands, Rialto, Running Springs, San Bernardino, Twentynine Palms, Upland, Victorville, Yucaipa, Yucca Valley.
Anza, Banning, Beaumont, Bermuda Dunes, Blythe, Cabazon, Calimesa, Canyon Lake, Cathedral City, Cherry Valley, Coachella, Corona, Desert Hot Springs, East Blythe, East Hemet, El Cerrito, Glen Avon, Hemet, Highgrove, Home Gardens, Homeland, Idyllwild-Pine Cove, Indian Wells, Indio, La Quinta, Lake Elsinore, Lakeland Village, Lakeview, Mecca, Mira Loma, Moreno Valley, Murrieta, Murrieta Hot Springs, Norco, Nuevo, Palm Desert, Palm Springs, Pedley, Perris, Quail Valley, Rancho Mirage, Riverside, Rubidoux, San Jacinto, Sun City, Sunnyslope, Temecula, Thousand Palms, Valle Vista, Wildomar, Winchester, Woodcrest.
If you searched for any of the following terms, you have found the right website:
Abstract of Judgment, Condominium Association Assessment Collection, Conejo Valley, Debt Collections, Consultants, Consulting, HOA Assessment Collections, HOA Collections, Homeowner Association Assessment Collection, Judgment Collections, Pomona Valley, Rent Collections, San Fernando Valley, San Gabriel Valley, Small Claims Advice, Small Claims Appeals, Small Claims Assistance, Small Claims Court Filing Service, Small Claims Forms, Small Claims Court Suits, South Bay, Southern California, Westside